Shift Happenings with George Suess
Welcome to Delarc's blog. Here you will find insights relating to our proactive philosophy and positive approach. CEO, George Suess, keeps you up to date on our most recent lessons learned and our consulting and training experiences. Check back regularly for updates. Comments and questions are encouraged.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Unusual reunion; unexpected benefit.

In my prior posting I wrote about the success of the Sedgwick County Developmental Disabilities Conference, Nov. 16 & 17 in Wichita, and what it taught me about unexpected benefits. It also provided me, personally, an unexpected benefit; a reunion with a cousin I hadn’t seen in at least 44 years.

During the lunch break on the first day of training a woman asked me a question specific to her work. We had a lovely conversation. Before we separated I wanted to remember her name. The first name on her name tag held no surprise but her last name certainly caught my attention. “Colucci” my mother’s full blooded, immigrant Italian, maiden name was displayed on the lapel of a person whose physical appearance would lead you to believe she was anything but Italian. First there was the surprise about the name and then there was surprise at the person with the name.

I explained my surprise and she quickly told me her husband’s family is from Niagara Falls, my home town. He also works in the field and was present. I excitedly said, “Go get him”. She did and I learned his father James is my age but a year behind me in school. His Dad, Jimmy and my Mom, Big Chris (Jimmy’s sister was Little Chris) were cousins. Both have past away. James remembered my Dad but had a hard time remembering Chris. But when I said, Big Chris, he remembered instantly. Way fun.

I asked James if his Dad was “Jimmy the Mailman”. He was and he was the Jimmy Colucci I worked with for a year or so in a part time job we both had during my freshman year in college. Jimmy and I would deliver the weekend edition of the Niagara Falls Gazette. On Friday evenings we delivered the preprinted section of the paper. Comics, advertising inserts, etc. At midnight on Saturday we would show up to deliver the Sunday news sections. Jimmy drove the truck and I delivered, dropped, tossed and tumbled bundles of papers. We were a team. We worked well. We had fun. We enjoyed each other. We did good work. I learned to respect and like Jimmy. He was a fine teammate and friend.

We all had dinner, told family stories and talked about the Falls.

While I thoroughly enjoyed having some time with this family branch, the most fulfilling benefit was the feelings deep inside that talking about Jimmy brought back. There are people, the briefest mention of whom, makes you smile. I have been blessed to know a few, my wife is one. Jimmy is one. His memory makes me smile and inside I feel a whole lot better. This reunion rekindled a little spirit, makes life a little bit more pleasant and gave me a valued unexpected benefit. How great is that?

1 comment:

Denise Colucci said...

George, it was such a joy and unexpected surprise to learn of our "connection," and I was grateful to have played a small part in bridging the gap between two family members who hadn't visited with each other for so long. Best wishes to you and your group!